Saturday, January 17, 2009

Things are coming together

Time is passing quickly. It's never fast enough, of course, when you're waiting to hold your baby, but it's not like it's dragging on. With my teaching job, days fly by and I wonder where the weeks went so before you know it, we'll be off to China.

I know I keep call Jaida our 'baby' and she'll be three years old by the time we bring her home, but in many ways I anticipate she'll be very much like a baby. Obviously, she'll be tiny but also, after three years living in an orphanage, she will likely have some delays. Communication will also be a challenge at first but we're brushing up on our signing and hoping that will get us by for the first little while. I've read so much about other families who've adopted 'older' children and have gotten all kinds of helpful hints on how to manage the communication barrier and those first few weeks as Jaida's world is turned upsidedown. We fully anticipate a much different experience than with Kennedy. That's okay. We're as ready as we can be and we can't wait to show Jaida the love of a forever family.

So, we're departing from Charlottetown on Friday, February 20th. We'll fly to Halifax, then Toronto. We depart from Toronto at 2:30 that afternoon and arrive in Beijing on Saturday, February 21st @5pm. We'll stay in Beijing for two nights then travel to Guangdong on Monday, February 23. That is the day we will get Jaida. After a week, we return to Beijing and spend the rest of our time there. On March 5th (Jaida's 3rd birthday), we leave China at 7pm and make the long journey back to Toronto. With the time difference, Jaida will actually have her birthday last about 36 hours!! Then we are overnighting in Toronto and heading back to PEI on Friday, March 6th. We will land in Charlottetown around 1pm. Finally our girls will be united and THAT will be the moment we've been waiting for!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been a long time coming. I think it is wonderful that you are ready for some possible delays when Jaida comes home. But that is nothing the love of her family can't fix. I know you are so anxious, I cannot even imagine looking at that sweet face every day and not being able to hold her.

Hugs!

Monica said...

Thanks for sharing your travel plans! That'll be nice to have a couple of days in Beijing to yourselves before flying to Guangdong. Can't wait to see you there!

Deanna said...

It won't be long now guys and you will be off to get Jaida....
Have fun packing and preparing and counting down the days, we'll be thinking of you, how exciting!!!

Deanna

Rae said...

Goosebumps. I've got goosebumps just thinking about everything you'll be experiencing and feeling when you finally have Jaida in your arms. I wish I could be there when you get off the plane and have both of your girls exactly where they should be, with their mama and daddy!

Tiffany said...

Oh I am SOOO excited for you guys! I CAN'T wait to follow your journey to Jaida!!!!!!!

Thank you for your very sweet comment on our blog. I can't believe it has been almost 3 years ago that we were both waiting for our first.

Congratulations!!!!!!!

geminirn said...

Oh wow,I just got all teary eyed reading your post,how exciting a time this is for you all...and ohhhh the best is yet to come.

Hugs from across the waters!

Shea said...

It must be exciting to have your travel plans finalized. It will be excitint to see a new part of China this time. Hopefully the weather in Guangdong will be warm so you don't need to pack heavy clothes.

I was wondering where you'd be celebrating Jaida's birthday. I'm sure Kennedy will be waiting to celebrate with her. Along with many family members and friends!

S x 4 said...

I am so excited for you! Best wishes on your upcoming travel. Also, "Gong Hay Fat Choy" (Happy New year in Cantonese).

Stephanie
DH Steve
DD Shaelyn (Home to Canada in 2007 at 4 yrs of age)