Thursday, February 26, 2009

Getting to know Fuqi

Jaida is having a nap every afternoon. She has gone to sleep easily, within 5-10 minutes of being put down. We snuggle her for a bit and then put her down in the crib. She lies there and looks around until her little eyes close.

Bedtimes have gone smoothly as well. Last night she was sad at bedtime, whimpering softly in my arms. We have not heard her cry yet. It's just a very soft whimper. We gave her a sippy cup with water to take in her crib. She finds her sippy VERY comforting. She was asleep within a few minutes.

She is the last one up every morning. Marv and I are still waking through the night quite a bit. We went to bed around 10 last night and I woke at 12:30 and felt like I had slept for hours. We evenutally woke at 5 for the day. Hard part is, your body starts to crash around supper time...

Jaida becomes very serious and deliberate when she's eating. She's very handy with a spoon, catching any little bit that my drop from her mouth. She has eaten anything and everything we've given her (not surprising) and I've had to decide when her little belly should be full. She doesn't seem to know this yet (again, not uncommon for children who probably didn't have enough to eat at each meal).

When she starts to giggle and play she is very rambunctious and plays hard. The rest of the time she is the exact opposite: serious and unengaging. We're just starting to see the "in between" stage of smiling, looking around, talking, etc. As she becomes more comfortable, she lets us see more of her personality.

She can easily be thought of as much younger than she is (turns 3 next week) due to her size. However, when she plays and interacts, it reminds me that she's a big girl. Also, not speaking English yet, I find myself thinking of her as much younger than she is...

Jaida will have a much different reaction to our family/friends at home than Kennedy did coming home at 10 months. She will not be putting her arms out to strangers (yes, Kennedy did this in church, at zellers, anywhere and everywhere) and she will most likely only want to be with us. I'm certain that she will not explore her environment without one of us there with her. It's perfectly normal at this point and I expect it will quickly fade when she sees her sister interacting with others.

Today I put a pair of size 2 pants on her...Old Navy style. A bit big but do-able with the adjustable waist. I'd say size 18-24 months will be her size for now. If she keeps eating like she does, she may jump up a few sizes quickly :)

Right now, I'm taking care of most of her personal needs, but it's obvious that she is probably used to doing much of that herself. When I went to put her crocs on, she took them from me and slipped them on quick as anything. She also takes them off by stepping on the backs of them with each foot! Just like any other kid would, I suppose! She continues to go to the bathroom without any accidents. She slept last night from 9:30-7:00a.m and was still dry this morning. She still hasn't asked to go potty by herself, but I'm taking her regularly and saying "potty" so hopefully she will soon start to say the word. She's a dead give away when she needs to go poop. She gets a sad look on her face and looks like she's going to cry!! I've been right on the money all 3 times. Mother's instinct I guess!!

We were looking through some pictures on the digital camera today and she was talking away. (Thanks to Sue and her students and to Kath for doing some translating on the last video. You guys are great!!) When she saw herself she immediately said Qi-Qi (pronounced K-K). That was neat to hear because twice before, she had referred to herself and Fuqi (pronounced Fook-Kay). So I'm glad to hear that she recognizes both names. We are calling her all three at this point...

That's all for now.
Carolyn, Marvin and Jaida

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are going so well. I can't wait to see her and Kennedy interacting. I'm sure she will learn SO much from her sister, (and watching the videos, vice versa I'm sure). We were so amazed watching her with those crayons. Emily said, "look at her picking them up so they are all in the right direction to put in the box". She seems very independent. Seeing you both with her, I have no doubt that she was always meant to be with you. So glad you finally found each other. Take care, Rhonda and family xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are really going well. So nice to hear. Anna is sure she understands what "mama" means from the video. She thought it was very interesting listening to Jaida speak. by for now, Leah

Deb said...

Glad to hear things are going well. Hopefully she will soon find a way to communicate to you when she needs to go potty. I can almost picture her little face when she needs to go poo! Hopefully Baba with recognise the look soon!

Murray and Diane said...

It's great to see Jaida doing so well. What a sweetie! You must be thrilled. Looking forward to seeing you all in Beijing.

Jill, Trevor, Kohl, Aliah said...

Awww I'm so glad to hear all is going well! What a beautiful family you have. Jaida is just so tiny and petite. Soooo pretty! Kohl is 3 and wears size 4T pants so I would love to see them dance together......lol
Love hearing of all your fun and experiences with your daughter.

Jill

Rae said...

It's hard to believe it's only been a few days since you've had Jaida. It seems like longer to me so to you it must seem like she's always been a part of your family!

I'm glad things are going well and she's showing you some of her personality. I'm sure once you get home more and more of her will emerge.

It was so cool to hear the translations for what she was saying. She's obviously a smart little girl!

geminirn said...

Glad to hear that she is eating,sleeping and pooping well......three very important things that make for a happy baby and there fore a happy Momma and Dadda.
We just finished watching all the videos over again.....she truly is a beautiful little doll.
Hope your having a great evening.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha, the eating with gusto sounds familiar!!! When we would feed Chloƫ at first, she would do this panicky, shovel-everything-in-my-mouth action and kept that up for months until she realized, "oh, I'm gonna get fed on a regular basis, cool!" To this day, she still has a great appetite, but without the panic!

Trev, the girls, and I are loving the pics and the videos. Just think, you'll be back next week!! Steph :O) ♥

Anonymous said...

I feel like I know her already from your blog Carolyn! It's such a joy to check in and see how things are going with you guys each day. :)
It seems like you are all adjusting so well...can't wait to check for more updates!!
Have fun and enjoy!
Jackie

Shea said...

I love the updates. Makes me feel like I'm there with you again! I'm happy to hear that things are going well, and you're able to really get to know Jaida.

The Carmodys said...

Hi Carolyn. I've been away and am just catching up on your blog now. Wow - congrats on daughter #2~ what a beautiful little girl she is. It looks and sounds like things are going really well. I love the little videos - her laugh is precious! Thanks for sharing so many details of your trip . We're so excited for you!

k

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn and Marv and Jaida. She looks beautiful and like a little treasure we're so happy for ya Can't wait to see her on the island take care and we'll see ya later
The Kelly's

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful! It sounds like she is adjusting really, really well!

J. Brant said...

It is so cool to read so much about her I feel like I know her already :) It is such an amazing process! How are mama and baba doing?
Kennah loves the video where you are saying good girl... she kept saying good girl and repeating everything you said to Jaida...it was too cute!
Love you all
Jen