Jaida has been talking away to us in Cantonese. I have no clue what she's saying but it's cute as anything to hear her talk. Kath, maybe you can translate for me??
Oh Carolyn, keep the pics and videos coming!! We can't believe how sweet she is. :O) The ladies at Chloƫ's orphanage spoke Cantonese too (I think that's partly why we never went to those Mandarin classes, didn't seem authentic for our situation, haha!). When I taught in China during my first trip, my university students often couldn't understand each other if one spoke Cantonese and the other spoke Mandarin - there's that much of a difference between the two. There were even comprehension difficulties with different dialects of the same mother tongue.
I bet it won't take long for Jaida to pick up lots of English! She seems to have the perfect temperament for learning; I noticed that when she dropped a few crayons on the floor, then pushed the rest to the floor. She's a focused, deliberate learner. Yay Jaida!!! Steph and the rest of the Betts fam :O) xoxo
she is too cute i'm sure it wont be long before she is able to communicate with you guys kennedy will have such fun with her... keep the pics coming and thanks for sharing your journey with everyone!!! Dawna Ramsay
Sorry, can't help you out with the translation, lol, but I could listen to her all day, she has such a sweet voice and an adorabel laugh! She seems like such a happy little girl and I can see you are enjoying your time with her.
I am just getting to see your pictures and videos today. Jaida is just beautiful and so happy! We can't wait for your return to the island! Take Care and safe travels.
As soon as I woke up, I had to get to the computer to see if you posted more video and pics. Jaida is so sweet. Looks like you and Marvin are having a great time getting to know her. So glad she is adjusting well. The first thing Avery asked me this morning was "Where is Kennedy?". Keep the pics and video coming. It brightens our day! The "Gang" at Kelly's
I had five of my students studying the video very intently. They all speak Cantonese. Jaida is speaking Cantonese "baby talk" they said but is saying "I finshed putting them in" (first part where she speaks)One student has a little one a year older than Jaida who just moved here from Guangdong. She also speak Cantonese and now goes to Chinese school so you will meet her if you decided to bring the girls when you get back. The adults all speak both Mandarin and Cantonese but only use Mandarin with each other in school here to cover all of the bases as some students are from other provinces. They all told me that Mandarin is the official language in China and the only one used in schools today.They also think she is adorable. Susan
OMgosh she is such a doll. She and K are going to have a hoot playing together. What a sweet voice she has too!
I couldn't make all of it out but here's what I think she is saying. Phonetically and then the translation. 1. Jo sigh le = Done all (I've done it all) 2. Jo sigh jaw le = Done it all 3. I can't make this one out. I'll see if my parents can make it out. 4. I can't make this one out either. 5. Aye ya, jo m'doh ah = Oh man, can't do it!
You'll hear "le" at the end of lots of sentences. It is common to use it in Cantonese, but doesn't serve a grammatical purpose in the sentence. It is more for emphasis. Kind of like "eh".
"Aye ya" is also a common phrase. It is often used when frustrated. It doesn't have a direct translation but is akin to saying "Oh man!" or "Geez!" or "For goodness sake!"
I'll see if my parents can make out the 3rd and 4th sentences.
I think the 3rd one is something about having lots of them.
Great to see photos of you with M,P & C. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Hope the boys enjoyed their beverages. ;-)
OH Carolyn...Jaida is so sweet!! She reminds me so much of Channing when I got her. Channing spoke Cantonese too, but I dont understand what Jaida was saying. Maybe your guide??
Make sure you get lots of video on her speaking Chinese. Within 2 weeks it will be gone. Once she catches onto English, she will drop the Chinses. Yulin told me Channing would lose hers around 2 weeks and she was dead on. I loved listening to the Chinese....so cute!!!
OK, Ava is willing to translate some - just before she drops the crayons Ava thought she was saying "Dora". There you go!!!! So sweet to hear her voice. She's a lovely little peanut.
awww, sweet. I'm pretty sure she said, "Mom I love you and Baba, and I'm a very happy girl and I can't wait to go to my forever home and meet my sister".....then she said Hi to ME! Ok well maybe not that last part but I'm pretty certain about the first part ;O)
She is absolutely precious. Wish I could help with the translation! I'm sure you guys would love to know what she is saying...regardless, it is probably something cute, happy, and girly - just like her! Enjoy your trip.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE all the videos... could she be any cuter? OH MY WORD she is just so sweet!!! Just beautiful as well!!!! What a wonderful site it is to see you with your Jaida Kate!
Oh Carolyn,I'm just getting caught up on all the photos and videos........SHE IS A LIVING DOLL!!!!OMG SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!I'm so so happy for you all...what a wonderful addition to your family.
Big hugs and looking forward to your next update(by the way is she eating and sleeping ok??).
What an absolute doll! you guys look like you are having the GREATEST time. I can just imagine how excited Kennedy is to see all the pictures and video!!
What a cutie and look how happy sweet Jaida is. I love her little voice and while watching it now Emma was pretty excited to see Jaida and know she is coming home to Canada. Best wishes for the rest of your stay in China. Hugs and can't wait to see more pix and video:)
What a sweet, sweet, voice...:) I also thought she was saying 'Dora'..good thing I'm not an ESL teacher!! Such a happy disposition Miss Jaida has...can't wait to meet her!!
Carolyn and Marv, She is so, so , so beautiful. She looks so happy in the pics and hopefully is adjusting well. I really hope you bring her into meet the kids. She is like a little movie star to them! I am super excited to meet her myself. Keep the posts coming and have safe travels. Emjoy your trip and time in China with Jaida. Robyn
What a BIG beautiful smile she has!!! It is sweet how precise, neat, and careful she was as she put each crayola back into the box...and that was a great idea you had, counting as she picked up each crayon that second time. You'll have your little one speaking English in no time!
Join us as we journey back to China to bring home our second beautiful daughter, Jaida Kate.
We brought Kennedy Joy home on February 16th, 2007 at the age of 10 months. We will meet Jaida Kate on February 23, 2009 and bring her home on March 6, 2009, one day after her 3rd birthday. We are so excited and feel completely blessed to be on this amazing journey again!
21 comments:
Oh Carolyn, keep the pics and videos coming!! We can't believe how sweet she is. :O) The ladies at Chloƫ's orphanage spoke Cantonese too (I think that's partly why we never went to those Mandarin classes, didn't seem authentic for our situation, haha!). When I taught in China during my first trip, my university students often couldn't understand each other if one spoke Cantonese and the other spoke Mandarin - there's that much of a difference between the two. There were even comprehension difficulties with different dialects of the same mother tongue.
I bet it won't take long for Jaida to pick up lots of English! She seems to have the perfect temperament for learning; I noticed that when she dropped a few crayons on the floor, then pushed the rest to the floor. She's a focused, deliberate learner. Yay Jaida!!! Steph and the rest of the Betts fam :O) xoxo
she is too cute i'm sure it wont be long before she is able to communicate with you guys kennedy will have such fun with her... keep the pics coming and thanks for sharing your journey with everyone!!! Dawna Ramsay
Sorry, can't help you out with the translation, lol, but I could listen to her all day, she has such a sweet voice and an adorabel laugh! She seems like such a happy little girl and I can see you are enjoying your time with her.
Love all the videos and pictures :o)
Tracy
Hi Marvin, Caroyln & Jaida,
I am just getting to see your pictures and videos today. Jaida is just beautiful and so happy! We can't wait for your return to the island! Take Care and safe travels.
Kim, Mark, Breanna & Chloe
As soon as I woke up, I had to get to the computer to see if you posted more video and pics. Jaida is so sweet. Looks like you and Marvin are having a great time getting to know her. So glad she is adjusting well.
The first thing Avery asked me this morning was "Where is Kennedy?".
Keep the pics and video coming. It brightens our day!
The "Gang" at Kelly's
I had five of my students studying the video very intently. They all speak Cantonese. Jaida is speaking Cantonese "baby talk" they said but is saying "I finshed putting them in" (first part where she speaks)One student has a little one a year older than Jaida who just moved here from Guangdong. She also speak Cantonese and now goes to Chinese school so you will meet her if you decided to bring the girls when you get back.
The adults all speak both Mandarin and Cantonese but only use Mandarin with each other in school here to cover all of the bases as some students are from other provinces. They all told me that Mandarin is the official language in China and the only one used in schools today.They also think she is adorable. Susan
Hi guys,
OMgosh she is such a doll. She and K are going to have a hoot playing together. What a sweet voice she has too!
I couldn't make all of it out but here's what I think she is saying.
Phonetically and then the translation.
1. Jo sigh le = Done all (I've done it all)
2. Jo sigh jaw le = Done it all
3. I can't make this one out. I'll see if my parents can make it out.
4. I can't make this one out either.
5. Aye ya, jo m'doh ah = Oh man, can't do it!
You'll hear "le" at the end of lots of sentences. It is common to use it in Cantonese, but doesn't serve a grammatical purpose in the sentence. It is more for emphasis. Kind of like "eh".
"Aye ya" is also a common phrase. It is often used when frustrated. It doesn't have a direct translation but is akin to saying "Oh man!" or "Geez!" or "For goodness sake!"
I'll see if my parents can make out the 3rd and 4th sentences.
I think the 3rd one is something about having lots of them.
Great to see photos of you with M,P & C. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Hope the boys enjoyed their beverages. ;-)
Love,
Kath
OH Carolyn...Jaida is so sweet!! She reminds me so much of Channing when I got her. Channing spoke Cantonese too, but I dont understand what Jaida was saying. Maybe your guide??
Make sure you get lots of video on her speaking Chinese. Within 2 weeks it will be gone. Once she catches onto English, she will drop the Chinses. Yulin told me Channing would lose hers around 2 weeks and she was dead on. I loved listening to the Chinese....so cute!!!
OK, Ava is willing to translate some - just before she drops the crayons Ava thought she was saying "Dora". There you go!!!! So sweet to hear her voice. She's a lovely little peanut.
awww, sweet.
I'm pretty sure she said, "Mom I love you and Baba, and I'm a very happy girl and I can't wait to go to my forever home and meet my sister".....then she said Hi to ME!
Ok well maybe not that last part but I'm pretty certain about the first part ;O)
Ohhh, she has such a sweet little voice! I'd love to know what she's saying. I bet you could just listen to her chatter all day long!
She is absolutely precious. Wish I could help with the translation! I'm sure you guys would love to know what she is saying...regardless, it is probably something cute, happy, and girly - just like her! Enjoy your trip.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE all the videos... could she be any cuter? OH MY WORD she is just so sweet!!! Just beautiful as well!!!!
What a wonderful site it is to see you with your Jaida Kate!
Oh Carolyn,I'm just getting caught up on all the photos and videos........SHE IS A LIVING DOLL!!!!OMG SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!I'm so so happy for you all...what a wonderful addition to your family.
Big hugs and looking forward to your next update(by the way is she eating and sleeping ok??).
What an absolute doll! you guys look like you are having the GREATEST time. I can just imagine how excited Kennedy is to see all the pictures and video!!
Jill
What a cutie and look how happy sweet Jaida is. I love her little voice and while watching it now Emma was pretty excited to see Jaida and know she is coming home to Canada. Best wishes for the rest of your stay in China. Hugs and can't wait to see more pix and video:)
What a sweet, sweet, voice...:) I also thought she was saying 'Dora'..good thing I'm not an ESL teacher!!
Such a happy disposition Miss Jaida has...can't wait to meet her!!
Lisa xo
Carolyn and Marv,
She is so, so , so beautiful. She looks so happy in the pics and hopefully is adjusting well. I really hope you bring her into meet the kids. She is like a little movie star to them! I am super excited to meet her myself.
Keep the posts coming and have safe travels. Emjoy your trip and time in China with Jaida.
Robyn
She is so beautiful,she is very lucky ,but she will find that out soon enough. She lokks like she is adapting well, can't wait to see he in person
Pam
Jaida is so cute.
I love the expression she makes when she drops her braclet.
Best wishes for journey
Dawn
What a BIG beautiful smile she has!!!
It is sweet how precise, neat, and careful she was as she put each crayola back into the box...and that was a great idea you had, counting as she picked up each crayon that second time. You'll have your little one speaking English in no time!
You have terrific instincts!
Post a Comment