It's been an amazing couple of days. We're so blessed. Jaida is sleeping right now so it gives me a few minutes to write down a few thoughts. I think of things throughout the day that I want to blog about and then when it's time to blog, I'm not sure where to start.
First, thank you SO much for all the wonderful comments. It's so nice to hear from our family, friends and cyberfriends that are following along. I choose to blog and share our story for a few reasons: 1.When we were preparing to adopt Kennedy, I learned so, so much from reading other blogs. There's no way to learn more about this trip/process than to read the blogs of those that have been there. So I hope that someone will read this blog and find it helpful as to knowing what to expect. 2. I would love if someone was inspired to adopt because they read/saw something on our blog. The China program has slowed significantly right now, however the China Waiting Child program (for children with minor medical needs) is a much speedier program and there are MANY, MANY children waiting for families. Jaida is from this program. If anyone wants information on this program, please let me know. I'd be happy to help. 3. It's a wonderful way to keep a journal of each day along the journey. Even the most exciting memories do fade with time. I know how much we love reading Kennedy's blog over and over and now sharing it with her. We look forward to doing the same thing with Jaida. 4. And finally, it's a wonderful way to keep in touch with everyone at home :)
Jaida is slowly coming out of her shell. I would confidently say we will have TWO spitfires on our hands. I thought from her referral info that she may be more shy and timid. Apparently this is just with new situations. We were told that she "talks a lot" and is "very active". Sound familiar, anyone? I think she'll hold her own with her Kennedy. She is very petite. I have weighed her (no scales in this hotel) but I'd say she's about a size 4-5 shoe size and 18-24 months in clothes. I'm not really sure on the clothes yet, but I'm guessing. For those in our travel group who know Claire, she's just a bit shorter than her, I believe. I would say that 20lbs is about accurate for her weight (I think you were right on the money with your advice, Dianne!!)
This morning we went back to the government offices to sign more papers. Jaida had a blast in the playroom. She was running, yelling throwing balls (!!), she even fell and put her tooth through her lip. I don't think she really knows what to do when she's hurt. I didn't even know she was hurt until I saw blood on her lip. I grabbed her and cuddled her so that she would know that when she's hurt she can come to us for comfort. These are things that most children learn "automatically" from their parents. For institutionalized children, these things often need to be taught. Later, we went shopping and she loved it. She took in all the sites and sounds. We bought a stroller...a must have for touring in China, we feel. We stocked up on water, snacks, PEPSI and a few other items.
She is an amazing eater. She has eaten everything we've given her (again, not surprising for an institutionalized child) and she is very capable of feeding herself with great proficiency.
Last night she went to bed around 10:30. She started coming out of her shell in the evening so we kept her up later than we normally would to get to know her. She slept until 3. I got her up to go to the bathroom, she peed and went back to sleep until 7. We had to wake her in order to have enough time to eat breakfast and meet our guide, Becky for 8:30. Tomorrow we are free until the afternoon so we'll let her sleep in :)
We were told she is potty trained and indeed it appears to be true! She hasn't been asking to go yet, but I've been taking her periodically and this method seems to be working. No accidents and today she even pooped on the potty! (too much info, I know, but we celebrate everything!!) Hopefully when Kennedy sees her doing this, she'll follow along...
Jaida's language is Cantonese (whereas Kennedy was spoken to in Mandarin). It is amazing to here this little girl speaking to us in another language. If only we knew what she was saying. When Becky is near, she will translate for us, but most of the time, I just smile and nod (maybe not such a good idea???) She is beginning to use gestures more, pulling my hand and pointing. One interesting thing we found out: Her name is spelled Fu Qi ...sounds like Foo Chee. This is the Mandarin pronounciation. Our friend and travelmate, Kathleen, had given me all the info on her name when we first got our referral. She told us the pronounciation in Mandarin and in Cantonese (knowing that in the region she is from, many speak Cantonese). So that makes her name, Fu Qi, sound like Fook Kay. It is very common for the Chinese to double the second name and use it as a nickname. We thought she was probably called Qi Qi (chee-chee), but when we found out they spoke Cantonese to her, we asked what they called her. The obvious choice was Kay-Kay. Yes, the orphanage staff confirmed, they called her Kay-Kay. For those of you who know us well, you'll know Kennedy's nickname is "K". So now we have a "K" and a "K-K". That may just get a tad confusing, don't ya think??? It was all too funny.
China is so interesting to me...it's seems like it's a race to get everywhere...EVERYWHERE. It doesn't matter where you're going, bathroom, disembarking from the plane, grocery store line. Everyone is in a hurry. No one stops and lets you go ahead. It's every person for themselves. It doesn't matter if you are old or young, woman or man, big or small, disabled, foreigner; no one seems to care. Everyone wants to get where there going and they will jump right in front of you if you're not standing your ground. The traffic, same idea. The biggest vehicle usually wins. Forget it if you are a pedestrian. You have NO rights. Just so different from at home...
I've heard people talk about the hard beds in China. I didn't experience that on our first trip. The beds weren't soft, but it didn't bother me. Well, the bed I'm in this week is like sleeping on a bed of bricks. I woke up this a.m with what feels like bruised shoulder blades. My neck is killing me. I'll survive but I just wanted all my blogger friends to know I've experienced the rock hard beds. Looking forward to the State Guest Hotel on Friday.
Our guide, Becky, asked us today if we were interested in going to see the orphanage. She said she would make the arrangements if we wanted to go. Marvin and I have talked about this and I must say, initially, I thought we'd definitely go, but once we got here and met Jaida, we decided not to go back. There's no guarantee the orphanage staff would let us in to the building (Becky would have called to see about that) and we wondered how Jaida would feel about going back and seeing her caregivers and friends again. It's a 2 hour drive from where we are and we just decided it's best we don't go right now. She's just starting to come out of her shell and we don't want to confuse her. I'd love to have pictures,etc, to show her but perhaps we'll bring the girls back when they're older and can understand more about their past.

27 comments:
Good morning / goodevening,
Love alll the new photos - especially to one on the top!! Can't wait to see Kennedy and Jaida playing!! Glad to hear she is adjusting well with you guys! Leah
I think you are taking home the most beautiful little girl in China! Somehow you managed to do that twice! I too thought Jaida would be quiet and timid. I can't wait to have her home. What will she think of all her cousins??? They all can't wait to love her all up!
Love,
The Robinson's xoxoxo
Hey CC!!
Love the pictures and the journaling....what a great way to wake up!!! Your Little Kay Kay is as cute as a button...I love the picture of her smiling!!
We have a one hour delay today, but the boys and I are going to head in early so that we may all get the chance to chat with you!!
Lisa xo
Love the pictures. She is just so sweet! glad to here things are going well. Thinking of you all and can't wait to learn more about beautiful Jaida. Rhonda xoxo
Hi you guys!
Great to see that great smile! What a sweetheart. What are the chances that her nickname is K-K. Amazing!
Love,
Suzanne and the girls
Hahaha, that's the traffic I remember!!! Truck trumps car, car trumps pedestrian! On both my trips, I followed the elderly when crossing the road (they've made it this far, they must know what they're doing!).
Carolyn, I think you made the right decision about not returning to the orphanage. Four hours of travel time for something that could very well confuse Jaida is probably not the best use of your new family bonding time. It must have been a difficult decision to make, but a great one! :O)
That's some great potty news!!! Good girl, Jaida!!! Steph, Trev, and the girls :O) xoxo
Oh Carolyn I am so happy things are going so well for you. That smile would definately melt your heart!! Can't wait for more posts! Tracy
Great pictures! I am so happy to see she has come out of her shell! What a great way to start the morning -- a coffee and reading your blog!
Travel safely,
Rebecca
Wow!!! What more can I say... she is absolutely adorable! It is amazing you have this little girl in your arms. I am so happy for you all. I laughed out loud when I heard her name was K-K... I think that is karma or something...so perfect, she was meant to be yours.
Love you all
kisses to Jaida
Jennifer, Jeff, Savannah and Kennah
xo
I love the pics - Jaida seems to be doing well with you guys - she is so adorable, and Mommy & Daddy look to be as proud as anything!
You are bringing back many memories of China - and they are all wonderful, hard beds, pedestrian frogger and all! lol!
Tracy
What an incredible journey. Everyone is so happy for you and praying back home that it would be just like in your dreams, and it sure was :)
I am so proud of you both. Many hugs and well wishes for a safe travel home to be reunited with K!!
Love,
Andrea, Brandon, Katie and Sam.
Good morning: We are trying to hook up to Skype this morning and it is not working. Are you connected? Lisa's one hour delay turned into a day without students.
Your Greenfield friends
Congrats on finally being the parents of two! Everything sounds wonderful, thanks so much for keeping us up to date and posting the pictures!
Sarah
What a beauty Jaida is, and such a little peanut. Her smile is radiant and you and Marv seem to be glowing a little bit, too!
I'm so glad things are going well, except for the hard bed. :) It sounds like you might have your hands full when you get home and K and K-K start running around the house! Obviously with the nickname K-K Jaida was meant to be yours -- that's so amazing!
Hugs from all of us and thanks for the updates!
WOW! How beautiful are you Jaida!!!
Her laugh is adorable. Gotta love a belly laugh. Congratulations we are so happy for you all. Even though I have never been to China (Twice) it looks beautiful. Enjoy your brick bed. She loves a good Mcdonalds burger she must be yours. Has she tried a BIG MAC?
Anyway I am beginning to ramble so I guess I'll go get a BIG MAC! Ha Ha! Happy pancake Tuesday! Be sure to have a Filet o Fish tommorrow.
Love Crystal
I love waking up to the updates! The first picture is a favourite of mine. You always have such great stories and observations Carolyn. Thanks for letting us have a peek into your adventure. It's not the same as doing it with you like the first time, but we're there with you in spirit and are sooo happy things are going as well as they are. I'd love to see some Claire, Jaida, Ren pics. I'm sure there will be some.
Take care. Hugs.
Jaida, you sweet sweet girl. I just can't get enough of hearing all about your days. It's the BEST book that I can't put down.
Thinking of you all~
Jill
She's gorgeous! That smile could steal your heart away. And its just going to get bigger and bigger!
Maeve loved watching the videos. She keeps talking about Jiao Jiao's Jie Jie (K's big sister).
I'll have to send you a Cantonese phrase book. :-)
Love,
Kath
Great photo's! She certainly has fit right in with the two of you. She looks so happy already and how exciting that she is coming out of her shell so fast.
Looking forward to more!
What an adorable little princess,she is simply perfect.Love all the adorable photos,you all look totally smitten with one another.
I'm so looking forward to your next entry.Congratulaions and hugs once again.
Oh Carolyn...your post brought tears to my eyes!! Jaida sounds just like Kennedy!!
And I can't believe you have a K and a K-K. too funny!
Did you think of picking up some children's music while you are in Guangdong? They have dvds/cds (that played on our computers and dvd players at home) with both english and cantonese music. They weren't very expensive and I know Ella enjoyed listening to them...they seemed to comfort her. Maybe Jaida would enjoy them as well. If you can't find them you can definitely borrow some of ours. Also we bought a chinese childrens book when we were there (with pics of chinese children/adults/etc) and Ella still loves that one. Wish we had bought more...she loved them!! and they were so cheap!!! picked those up at the department store next to our hotel (TrustMart)
hugs, Angela :)
oh my gosh, she is precious! you all look so happy :) congrats and safe travels back home!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to blog. We are all thinking of you. What a cutie! I can't wait to see Jaida and Kennedy together. Can't wait to hear more about your journey. Miss you all. Have a safe trip.
Kelly, Bernie, Lauren, Keirsten and everyone at Kelly's
I just looked at your two videos and your pictures and had a good cry. Jaida is a beautiful girl and she seems so happy. Enjoy this magical time. I had the same problem with my bed in China, but I found a soft duvet cover in the closet that I could put on top and it really helped. Francine
I had to chuckle when you mentioned "it's every man for himself and the traffic" Someone told us that when crossing the street, follow the old people...if they survived crossing the street that long, they must know what they're doing!! lol Funny thing is...that's exactly what Daniel and I did in Guangzhou!! Glad all is going well!
Nat
Love the pics! Amazing post!
Thanks so much for sharing all your experiences. It is all wonderful information for all of us waiting parents.
Smiles! :o)
Nikki
hi guys, we are so excited to meet our new niece. we are glad everything is going good.have a safe journey home and we will be over to see our two beautiful neices. love to all doug and lisa.
Post a Comment